City railway station
The first railway station in Gumbinnen was built soon after the railroad of Königsberg-Eydkunnen had opened at the end of the 19th century. Its brick structure had a waiting room, ticket offices, restaurant, and service area on the premises. A water tower was constructed that was 15 m high and held 50 CBM for filling the engines.
During Gumbinnen Operation in January 1945, the building was severely damaged but quickly restored. The latest reconstruction of the building was in 2004.
The station square became similar to pre-war design due to the demolition of a number of old German buildings.
A monument to the soldiers who were lost during the Gumbinnen Operation in January 1945 was erected at the station square in 1970 to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Victory in the Great Patriotic War. N. P. Tishchenko is the project author.