The administrative building of the government of Gumbinnen District
The administrative building of the government of Gumbinnen District government (Kreishaus Gumbinnen) was built in the Renaissance style in 1898.
Since 1945, it has been a military base.
This place is also known for its interior, which was used for filming the “Farhad's Feat Soviet movie that was released in 1967.
According to old plans of Gumbinnen, the Pissa River originally had quite a different course. The river was divided into two streams near the Blue Bridge (the bridge in Shkolnaya St.). The old streambed trended in the southern direction to the west from Meelbeckstrasse (Shkolnaya St.). The Pissa River then turned to the southwestern part and used to flow between administrative building of the government of Gumbinnen District and Friedrichschule that was built much later.
Then the river crossed Königstrasse (Pobedy St.) and Gartenstrasse (Ulianovyh St.). Near the building of a new City Hall (Polytechnic College), it was connected to the Mill Groove stream and then went further to the west along the mill (Animal Feed Mill).
Because of constant floods, the Mill Groove Stream became wider, two high dams were built on both sides, and linden trees were planted there to strengthen them. The old streambed of Pissa River was filled up.
Thus, the current stream flowing through the city is a completely an artificial waterway.